Monday 11 July 2016

Looking good is a choice... #60AndSlaying




I WAS blown away when I first saw pictures of Irvin Randle on the Internet. The 54-year-old American who jealous men have termed “Uncle Bae” or “Mkhulu Bae” is the reason why people say age ain’t nothing but a number! “Mr Steal Your Grandmother” is one of the most stylish men I’ve seen and for someone in his 50s, he’s pretty much got it all figured out. His fitness and fashion enthusiasm has seen him melt hearts by the swag and physique which he doesn’t hesitate to flaunt online. While some were shocked by how good looking this guy is – I really wasn’t. I live with a human being that has showed me that looking good is a choice. 


My mother turns 60 this year but you wouldn’t tell just by looking at her. The other morning, she came to my room to ask how she should wear her Burberry scarf. It was a little chilly and she had worn a black pencil skirt suit, a pink cashmere top, black heels and silky pantyhose. The scarf was that accessory that would keep her warm and of course add that extra special touch. It does take a certain kind of person to be able to look classy in a scarf you know. As she went about her business before she left the house that morning, I kept thinking wow, that’s a gem! 
 

She has, over the years maintained a healthy weight – she might even weigh less than me and I’m not overweight – maybe just a pizza slice away! She doesn’t wear granny pants or viscose suits that drown her figure – she remains age appropriate while embracing current fashion trends. Like Uncle Bae, she’s just decided she’ll keep herself looking good and continues to do that. For some people, not being able to keep their weight in check or knowing how to dress their body types well is what stands in the way of their next perfect outfit.

Although there are ways around covering extra body fat, it’s so much easier and certainly healthier for your wardrobe to exercise regularly and eat healthy. I’m not quite the weight loss expert but I’ve started to make certain changes to my lifestyle to enable my wardrobe to strive in its fullness. The gym thing is still a struggle for me but let’s look on the bright side. I hardly eat junk food or take fizzy drinks. 


I’ve given up things like margarine, bread and sugar completely, but that’s just me.
A friend and I have even started calling them #SeptemberGoals. By September, I hopefully, would’ve toned up and be ready to rock some butt high shorts with a blazer and some killer heels! I don’t know where I’ll be headed to but I’m so wearing that come September! There are certain things about ourselves that we can’t change but there are some that we can. Instead of having to change your wardrobe every six months because your eating habits are out of control, why not invest in your health and your wardrobe will take care of you. I often see people whining and mopping about how they can’t get sizes in the clothes they want.

Why not drop a kilogram or two and wear whatever you want? Nobody is saying you should become model thin, trim to a weight you’re comfortable in and maintain it. It’s heartbreaking to see people hiding themselves in track pants and sweaters because they are too embarrassed about their bodies. It has killed their confidence and they don’t get out much because they feel they’ve nothing good to wear. Why don’t you get up and do something? Make yourself a fabric slayer and like Irvin and my Mom, get to 60 while you’re rocking it!  



No comments:

Post a Comment