Monday 6 June 2016

Fashion designers, tailors - get your act together!



I SEE and want lots of different things. In most instances, these are things I can’t get off the rack.
They’re too specific and clothing stores won’t necessarily see the need to stock them.
So, what’s my next best option? Finding someone who can make the clothing item for me, right? Wrong. I’ve lost faith in fashion designers and wait for that one person who’ll turn things around for me.
Getting clothes tailored has backfired countless times and caused me unnecessary chest pains.
The first time I ever got a tailor to make me something was about two years ago. It was a red, black and gold African print dress.
To date, this is still my most favourite piece of clothing. The dress was to be worn to a friend’s wedding.
I took in my material and made a down payment on the dress in good time. But the Friday before the wedding, the dress still wasn’t ready and I only got it in the evening, after fuming at the tailor for failing to deliver the dress on time.
I went to the wedding looking stunning, I strut my stuff and yes, I rocked it but the drama behind the look was awful!
I took a break from the tailors until I fell in love with the kaftan. Somebody had to make it for me so I decided to try a different tailor. I gave him the specifications for the garment and was told when to pick it up.
The day arrived; I was beyond excited and couldn’t wait to try on my new kaftan! But it was yet another disappointing appointment. The embroidery still wasn’t done and quite frankly, the material the tailor had used looked plain cheap! My heart sank; I was extremely disappointed and never went back to that tailor. 


Take three was a dress to another wedding. I thought to give someone else a chance, I decided to believe in the trade again so I got another designer to make me a dress. This time it was a mustard disaster!
The shoulder line was uneven and too small, the hem was lopsided and the gathers looked like a sack tied together with a piece of string! I couldn’t deal with these people anymore.
I’d had enough and never again was I going to take myself on such an emotional roller coaster!
The designer apologised for the boob and promised to make a replacement dress but three months down the line, that dress still hasn’t come!
Tailors and fashion designers, I’m talking to you – how do you expect people to give you business if you fail to deliver?
I’m not the only one who’s had drama with fashion designers – my friend has had her fair share. Just the other day, she was complaining about a lady who had been sitting on her material for weeks and keeps promising to finish sewing her dresses.
She once complained about another tailor making a shirt she had not asked for. The tailor had ignored the design she had chosen and decided to make something else. I mean, who does that! What happened to the saying that customer is king?
My point is quite simple. When somebody trusts you with their material and hard earned cash, the least you can do is honour them. If you feel you can’t pull it off or you don’t have enough time on your hands – be honest and let the client decide whether to walk away or be patient.
Honesty and reliability are good for your business and your brand. Take yourself seriously. Human beings recommend services to each other – don’t be the person that people will never recommend. You really can’t afford to lose the people’s trust and credibility. Make yourself and your brand count each time you sew those stitches in.

No comments:

Post a Comment